NOA Opera Production Competition
2013-14 Div III, 2nd Place
The Rape of Lucretia, Rutgers
GOAL: To encourage and reward creative, high quality opera productions in:
- Small professional opera companies
- Opera training programs, including:
- Academic institutions
- Music conservatories
- Summer opera training programs
- Opera outreach programs
Eligibility and Guidelines
Currently eligible productions are those presented between June 1, 2015, and June 15, 2016. Submission deadline is June 30, 2016. The submitting institution or a member of the production staff must be an NOA member, with dues current for 2016. Dues for continuing and new members must be paid online (in the member's area).
Entrants must upload video to the internet of a complete live performance or dress rehearsal, with audience, of an eligible production. There must be nothing in the filename or the video itself that will identify the producing organization or any personnel involved.
The video may not be edited in any way, other than to remove items revealing the submitting institution, i.e. credits/curtain calls, etc. An independent microphone system may be used in filming.
Entries will be divided into multiple judging levels. The determination of level will be based on the following parameters:
- Size and scope of institution’s music and opera program (application section II)
- Level of vocal training of the singers in the cast (application section IV)
2013-14 Div IV, 3rd Place
Dialogues of the Carmelites, Queens College
Be sure to read and complete the application carefully. In fairness to all entrants, it is imperative that the competition application contain complete and accurate information. Therefore, incomplete and/or inaccurate applications are subject to disqualification. Information contained in the first page of the application will be shared with the judges to help them formulate a standard against which to evaluate the production. The same judges will view all videos in each category. The judges reserve the right to limit the number of awards in a category if, in their professional opinion, there are insufficient entries deserving of recognition.
Winners will be notified via email by November 15, 2016 and announced on the NOA website. Awards will be presented at the Annual Convention. NOA may also use provided video and production photos for publicity purposes.
Electronic Submission Procedure
(Paper submissions with physical media no longer accepted)
2013-14 Div IV, 1st Place
The Magic Flute, Michigan State
The submission must be sent by email to email@example.com and include in the body of the email or as attachments the following items:
- a scanned completed application form, with 1 page per file (available as a Word document or PDF form). Since signatures from the member and department chair are required, it is not acceptable to merely fill in the word document and return it. You must scan each completed page of the application into separate PDF files since page 2 cannot be forwarded to the judges.
- a copy of your web receipt for the $25 fee per entry, made via the Secure online payment area (external link). Click on Opera Production Competition Entry Fee, add it to your cart, then proceed to checkout.
- a link to the uploaded video(s) along with any assigned passwords.
- a link to uploaded production photo(s) suitable for posting to the NOA website in the event your production is a winner.
- a scan of the complete printed program (it is not necessary to black out any portion of the program)
- an electronic statement of the director’s concept, explaining choices and approach, to account for any variance from the text; and
- if applicable, scanned written permission from the work’s publisher or copyright holder authorizing the performance.
The judges will be provided with the first page of the application, the director's statement, and will view the videos. Therefore, to ensure anonymity of entries, NO identifying references or credits should appear on those materials. Any entry for which the submitted videos or explanatory statement reveals the performance venue or the name of any participating NOA member will be disqualified. The submission fee for entries ruled ineligible will not be refunded.
Questions regarding the competition may be addressed to:
Melanie Helton, competition chair, at or phone 517-749-7989, or to
Robert Hansen, Executive Director, at or phone 806-651-2857.
2013-14 Div V, 1st Place
La Finta Semplice, U of Alabama-Birmingham
2015-2016 Winners Announced
Congratulations to the winners of the 2015-2016 competition!
Opera Production Competition