NOA Dissertation Competition
Call for Nominations
The National Opera Association announces its biennial competition for the outstanding dissertation on operatic subjects.
- The competition is open to all doctoral candidates whose degrees were/will be conferred between September 1, 2018 and August 31, 2020.
- Each entry should include one copy of the dissertation in digital (PDF) format and letters of nomination from the dissertation committee chair and the department head of the degree-granting institution.
- A 100-word biography of the author must accompany the abstract, submitted in a separate attachment (Word or PDF). Committee members reading abstracts do not see identifying information; bios are held for use in the convention program if the dissertation is selected as a winner.
- Judges reserve the right not to award a winner at their sole discretion.
- Deadline for submission is October 1, 2020. Winners will be notified by November 15, 2020.
The author of the winning dissertation will be recognized at the annual convention of the National Opera Association. The winner will receive a certificate, and will be invited to publish an article digested from the dissertation in The Opera Journal.
There is no application fee for the competition, but entrants must be members of the National Opera Association. Non-members wishing to submit a paper can become members by submitting an application along with the competition materials.
Submit dissertations and letter of endorsement to Caroline Schiller, Research Committee Chair at .